Electricity is a basic need like food, water and shelter. DP&L delivers electricity to the community to sustain life and moreover makes corporate investments and awards DP&L Foundation grants to improve the quality of life.
Thank you for your interest in partnering with the Dayton Power & Light Foundation and Dayton Power & Light Company. Each year we receive hundreds of applications and proposals from worthy organizations. Unfortunately, we are only able to fund a portion of those received.
- We have developed an online application for DP&L Foundation grants to reduce the amount of paper for the application process, which aligns with our commitment to protect the environment.
- There is not an application for corporate contributions. DP&L corporate contributions are investments in strategic projects and programs selected by company leadership.
Please review the information below before you begin your grant application.
The application deadline for DP&L Foundation grants is always October 1. Grants are announced near the first of the year.
Select a heading below to view more information.
Requests for funding will be reviewed using the following criteria:
Applicants must also demonstrate how they meet these additional requirements:
- Improving the quality of life for our community – is defined in many ways and each organization or event must describe how its efforts contribute to building prosperity and improving the quality of life in our communities which includes all residents, neighbors in need, businesses, and the environment. Grants are directed to local organizations for local needs, throughout the counties we serve.
- Enhancing the sustainability of the organization – each time DP&L Foundation supports a non-profit organization or event, our goal is for the organization to be more sustainable regardless of any ongoing financial commitment. Applicants must address this issue.
- Engaging DPL people in partner organizations – many of our people volunteer for and support partner organizations. We encourage you to try to engage our people. DPL tracks the number of our people serving on boards or who volunteer in other capacities.
- The organization must be an IRS-approved 501(c)3 or 509(a) (509(a) designation for corporate economic development grants only)
- Alignment with one or more of our giving focus areas
- Organization or program resides or benefits in DP&L's 24-county service area - please see map below
- Program effectiveness, including demonstrated and anticipated outcomes and impacts
- Program feasibility based on organization staff, collaborations and organization/program budget
- Diversity and inclusivity of who is served by the program(s)
In order to make a strategic impact with our donation dollars, we will not consider:
- Organizations without 501(c)3 public charity status from the IRS or classified as private foundations
- Organizations that discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, veteran status or any federal, state or local laws
- National or state health organizations
- Organizations that only benefit a few people
- Organizations raising money for second-party giving to a non-profit
- Travel funds for tours, expeditions or trips
- School yearbook and/or calendar ads
- School or civic sports teams, events or supplies (t-shirts, etc.)
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns
- Incomplete applications cannot be saved.
- This application request is a 2-step process. In Step 1 you’ll be asked to answer questions to tell us about your organization and your funding request.
- Submitting Step 1 will send your information to DPL Community Relations. You will receive a print-ready email confirmation including the information you provided in the form for your records.
- Step 2 will ask you to upload an electronic copy of the following documents to complete your application:
- List organization's Board of Directors
- Program or project budget or the organization's current year budget
- IRS Letter of Determination (must have 501(c)3 status)
- Organization's most-recently audited financial statements or most recently filed Form 990
- Individual file sizes may not exceed 2MB. If files cannot be compressed to this size, please send them in a separate email to DPL Community Relations. Please include your organization's name in the subject line.