DP&L has received numerous customer reports about a payment scam where customers reported they've been contacted by someone claiming to represent DP&L and indicating that their electric service would be disconnected if they did not immediately provide payment information.
Scammers use sophisticated tactics. Sometimes they make DP&L's phone number appear on the called ID, even when the call DOES NOT come from DP&L.DP&L would like to remind customers of our process for requesting and receiving customer information for billing purposes:
- If DP&L does call a customer, our representative will have specific and accurate information related to the customer's billing and account.
- If DP&L employees or contractors visit your home or business, they will carry an DP&L identification badge.
- DP&L does not require or strongly recommend a specific payment method or type. We offer a variety of payment options so customers can select the one that best suits them.
- Be on alert especially if someone demands payment by pre-paid debit (often referred to as "Greendot"), or Bitcoin, a type of cryptocurrency.
- DP&L also reminds customers not to provide personal information or comply with requests for payments unless they are confident with whom they are speaking to.
- DP&L also warns customers to be aware of their personal safety and only make payments in person at an authorized pay agent.
Customers are asked to notify DP&L if they receive a call and are unsure that the caller is truly an DP&L employee. Please call DP&L at 800-433-8500 for residential customers or 800-253-5801 if you're a business customer to verify any questions you may have related to DP&L bill payment and collection.
If you suspect you have been impacted by a scam, please call your local police department's non-emergency number immediately to report it.
Please be aware that this is an industry-wide problem that has affected many utilities across the country. DP&L is working with authorities to stop this unauthorized activity.